Wednesday, August 27, 2014

Al Meets World

I grew up watching Boy Meets World on ABC's TGIF line-up every Friday night, and so when I heard that the Disney Channel is now airing a spin-off show called Girl Meets World, I just HAD to check it out. I was pleased to see that the writing of Michael Jacobs and April Kelly has kept much of its same kind of educational humor, and that the new show has kept the spirit of the old show alive. As somebody who also grew up watching Friends as part of NBC's "must see" Thursday night line-up (which was the best TV line-up ever, since it also consisted of a little show called Seinfeld) and was really letdown by its Joey spin-off, this was a very welcomed surprise, to say the least!

Not only that, but it even kept the same Friday night format as its predecessor. The only difference now is that Riley and Maya aren't exactly Hangin' with Mr. Cooper on the Disney Channel. But hey, if Mark Curry and Holly Robinson Peete are up for it, maybe they can soon be Hangin' with Mr. Cooper's Child. (Disclaimer: Disney Channel, if you choose to pursue this horrible idea, I will insist on my 10% creator's fee. LOL!)

However, what is it about both of the "Meets World" shows that I find myself relating to so much? Is it the fact that they face serious issues with a laugh, or that I know that no matter who's mad at whom, everything will again be copacetic among my favorite characters within the next half hour because everybody knows just the perfect thing to say at all the right times? I don't know what it is about the humor on those shows that so metaphorically pulls on my heart strings, but it certainly does, so now any time I need a smile, I will check my local TV listings.

It's funny because I used Boy Meets World to socially adapt to my school systems growing up, and now I'm using Girl Meets World to help me raise my niece and nephews, so that franchise has served me well through the years.

And that little pick-me-up from watching Girl Meets World certainly worked yesterday when I woke up to find both a nail and a bobby pin lodged into separate parts of my rear passenger-side tire and had to start off my day by replacing it. I mean, seriously, what are the chances of having two separate things puncture the same tire on the same day? Like 0.01 percent? I feel like I won the lottery that nobody wanted to win yesterday, so hooray for me! But on the plus side, I replaced it with its spare quickly enough that it didn't affect the rest of my day at all. I still got to work on time and everything, so all's well that ends well.

Now, if you'll excuse me, I'm off to find out why they call those things "bobby pins."

Happy Hump Day, everybody!

No comments:

Post a Comment