Thursday, April 2, 2015

HIStory

I don't mean this to sound like a negative thing because I really don't perceive it as such, but if it does, then it does... whatever. I can't control how other people interpret the words that spill out of my mind, so I ain't ever gonna stress that too much. But anyway, the older I grow, the more in tune with society I become, the less the world's ways get to me. Let me explain. Take somebody like Michael Jackson, for instance. At first, Jacko was beloved, then when he became too big, as is tradition in this world, he was destroyed. They build you up just to break you back down. You can only get so big before you piss the world off. On the downward spiral, the dude was made to fit the profile of a pedophile. He may have actually been, or maybe not, but the point is -- without him ever actually being found guilty of such, the world pretty much unanimously agreed that he was one because it fit the "downward spiral" script they were going on about at the time. Then, the dude goes and dies, and all of a sudden, he's the world's best friend again, nobody ever said anything bad about him! These are the ways of the world. I'm older now, I understand them, this makes me better prepared to deal with them, and in turn, I'm happier as a person these days. So like I said, people might look at this and say, "oh, he's more cynical these days, sucks to be him!" But not me, I look at it and say, "knowing what's around the corner and having the knowledge of having already dealt with such experiences makes you better prepared for when it happens again, and knowing is half the battle, now let's get to doing!" See, it's a good thing: experience breeds knowledge.

Which brings me to my next point...

Every time I've gone out lately, I've felt old. It seems like I'm aging, but those around me never seem to do so. I was at the movie theater the other day, and I kid you not, out of the thousands of people there, only like two or three were older than me. What the heck?! I turn on the television, and everybody on there are twenty-somethings that I have no idea who they are! I told my best friend this, and he's like, "we ain't old, what'cha talking about?!" That was my point, though. We ain't old! Why is it that everyone around us seems to be younger than we are? Is it because people our age are all home raising children or something? Why is it that life is going on around us, but the backdrop seems to be frozen in time or something? These are just the thoughts I've been having as of late. To myself. Haven't really wanted to bother anybody with them. Only young kids are allowed on the television, apparently, but I guess that's because network execs think only youngins can be sexy? I don't know about you, but I'll take a Kate Beckinsale, Zoe Saldana or Charlize Theron over a Selena Gomez, Miley Cyrus or Ariana Grande all day, every day! I must really be getting old to think that way, eh? LOL! But anyway, so this is what I've been feeling lately. Old. Just plain older than dirt or sum'n. Whatever, life ain't stopping anytime soon, and with every day, I'm just gonna keep getting older and older and older, so I'm fine with that idea. Why worry about something you can't control, after all? But that's not what I was worrying about. I was worrying that the older I get, the less I'm going to feel like a part of my community, because they apparently have different ideas for who can entertain them or whatever, which in turn affects what kinds of crowds (err, demographics) can fill their movie theater aisles. The older I get, the more I get cast out of society... and hey, someday, if it hasn't yet, the same will happen to all of you, my friends!

That's why, it's not a bad thing. It's just different.

Anything we do in this life is just a matter of perception. I don't live in the negativity that some others do. I'm typically a very happy soul. But every once in a while, it's nice to know what awaits us, so that we can adequately prepare for it. I don't feel life ever prepared me for these outcasted feelings that I've been having lately. Had it, I would've already known these days were approaching. Now that they've arrived, I'm making the best of them -- keeping all negative thoughts outside, trying to focus only on the good and positive ones. So yesterday, I was finally pulled out of my old-man funk and started feeling a little societal again when I went to go pick up my dinner ("to go") at Chipotle's, and noticed the bag. On it, they had a Paulo Coelho writing that reminded me that I'm not the only one feeling this way. As corny as this sounds, that's all I needed, someone who felt the same way as me. Now, I know I'm not alone, and soon, my friends, you'll all be joining me down that path of "you ain't needed anymore!" Welcome to your future. You'll love it here. I guarantee it. Hahaha!!!

Anyway, take two minutes to enjoy the piece I was reading yesterday, "Two-Minute Alchemy" by Paulo Coelho...

A legend tells of a man who used to carry water every day to his village, using two large pitchers tied on either end of a piece of wood, which he placed on his shoulders.

One of the pitchers was older than the other and was full of small cracks; every time the man came back along the path to his house, half of the water was lost.

For two years, the man made the same journey. The younger pitcher was always very proud of the way it did its work and was sure that it was up to the task for which it had been created, while the other pitcher was mortally ashamed that it could carry only half its task, even though it knew that the cracks were the results of long years of work.

So ashamed was the older pitcher that, one day, while the man was preparing to fill it up with water from the well, it decided to speak with him.

"I wish to apologize because, due to my age, you only manage to take home half the water you fill me with, and thus quench only half the thirst awaiting you in your house."

The man smiled and said, "When we go back, be sure to take a careful look at the path."

The pitcher did as the man asked and noticed many flowers and plants growing along one side of the path.

"Do you see how much more beautiful nature is on your side of the road?" the man remarked. "I knew you had cracks, but I decided to take advantage of them. I sowed vegetables and flowers there, and you always watered them. I’ve picked dozens of roses to decorate my house, and my children have had lettuce, cabbage and onions to eat. If you were not the way you are, I could have never done this. We all, at some point, grow old and acquire other qualities, and these can always be turned to good advantage."


And always remember, my friends, you'll always have other traits you've honed in time that will be of much use to this next generation. Don't let yourself feel like you don't belong, as nothing can be further from the truth. People need you... and they always will!!

We ain't old, man, what'cha talking about?!?! ;-)

No comments:

Post a Comment